Thursday, December 12, 2013

Steering Column Part 2

So, to continue where I left off...

I got frustrated at the end of yesterday's message. I was finally able to get the outer portion of the column off, but then my flashlight died for whatever reason and I was left in the dark. Really. So I got a new light and got back to it tonight.

I was able to remove the bulk of the slide away column mechanism and get down to the brake pedal. I rebolted the booster to the firewall because the brake lines are frozen to the brass block on the master cylinder and I'm not real sure what to do about that yet. Another day perhaps.

At any rate, after getting it rebolted, I popped off the e-clip that holds the brake pedal on and removed that. Then, I decided it was time to get that parking brake and driver's side fresh air vent out. Through careful manipulation of my socket wrench, I was able to work the three bolts that hold the parking brake assembly in. And it wasn't easy with that vent in the way. The vacuum release at the top made it a real pain to get out, but after tearing out the section of the firewall pad behind it, i was able to slide it back and down and out. Then the vent.

I was able to finally get to all three of the bolts that hold that vent into the underside of the cowl, so I pulled them out, and started working loose the rubber seal material that was used to make it airtight. After pushing and pulling for a couple minutes, it finally broke loose. I pulled it down and very nearly crapped my pants when I found a mud wasp nest the size of my computer mouse inside of it. Lucky for me, and all my neighbors that would have been awakened by a grown man screaming like a little girl, it appears to be abandoned, but I decided I would end it there for the night, since pushing my luck is not often a wise choice for me.

Next up, pulling the rest of the interior. That will include the driver's seat, the rear lower bench seat, and all the wiring running to the trunk. I'll probably go ahead and pull the taillights too at that time. Man, we are pretty close to getting ready to pull out that big beast 390.

No comments:

Post a Comment